Camelot Appoints Greenlight To Handle Search Engine Optimisation For The National Lottery
London, 05 August, 2009 - National Lottery operator Camelot has hired specialist search marketing agency Greenlight to manage the search engine optimisation (SEO) for the National Lottery website at www.national-lottery.co.uk.
Following a competitive pitch, Greenlight has been tasked with driving traffic to the re-launched National Lottery website - which went live in March 2009 - with the overall objective of increasing the number of registrations generated by natural search.
To achieve this, Greenlight's SEO team will implement ARC - the agency's proprietary metholodogy - which identifies and addresses the key issues and actions required to improve a website's ranking on search engines.
The new National Lottery website launched earlier this year with a host of new features, including the ability for players to filter all games by type, top prize, price, theme and launch date, to help them find the perfect game to suit them.
Charlotte Oldfield, e-commerce marketing manager at Camelot, said: "Greenlight's clear understanding of what we want to achieve in 2009, along with their proprietary tools and thorough approach to improving natural search rankings, impressed us from the very start of the pitch process.
"It's our belief that the team at Greenlight are the perfect partner to take our natural search activity to the next level, further driving growth and helping us to continue to maximise returns to the Good Causes."
Camelot recently announced its full year figures to 31 March 2009, which saw The National Lottery's interactive channels - across the internet at www.national-lottery.co.uk, Sky Active and Play by text on mobile phones - deliver double-digit growth, increasing by £117.8 million (31.8%) to £488.2 million. These, along with the 37 new interactive Instant Win Games on the website launched over the year, help to raise over £2.5 million for the Good Causes every week via these channels alone, helping to boost the £23 billion-plus already raised by all National Lottery players to date.
Andreas Pouros, Chief Operating Officer at Greenlight, added: "We are really excited to be working on the National Lottery website, currently one of the top e-commerce sites in the UK. We're delighted to be given this opportunity and we look forward to helping Camelot further grow The National Lottery's range of interactive services, with the help of an increased focus on natural search."
Other Greenlight clients include Vodafone, British Gas and Radisson.
- Camelot Group plc is the licensed operator of The National Lottery® and is committed to raising money for the Good Causes designated by Parliament. Camelot is not responsible for distributing or awarding these funds.
- To date, over £23 billion has been raised for the Good Causes by The National Lottery, and more than 317,000 individual awards have been made across the UK - the biggest programme of civic and social regeneration since the 19th Century. The National Lottery has given away over £34 billion in prizes and created more than 2,200 millionaires or multi-millionaires since launch in 1994.
- Camelot runs the most cost-efficient lottery in Europe, with around 4% of total revenue spent on operating costs. In the period up to March 2010, around 28% of total National Lottery revenue is expected to go to the Good Causes. Over the course of the third Licence, over 50% of total National Lottery revenue is expected to be paid to winners in prizes, while 12% of total revenue is expected to be paid to the Government in Lottery Duty. Depending on performance, total profits across the course of the Licence will range from 0.3% to a maximum of 0.5% of total revenue.
- Camelot is committed to the highest standards in player protection and social responsibility in both the retail and interactive environments. The National Lottery website, Sky Active and Play By Text services have been accredited by GamCare, the UK's national centre for information, advice and practical help regarding the social impact of gambling - while Camelot's approach to game design, test purchasing and retailer vigilance campaigns ensures player protection at retail. Camelot has been listed for the second year running in the Platinum category by Business In The Community for its overall Corporate Responsibility achievements, the highest category possible within the index.
- For further information on Camelot, The National Lottery and its games, please visit the following websites: www.camelotgroup.co.uk and www.national-lottery.co.uk.
- Players of all National Lottery games must be aged 16 or over. Game Rules and Procedures apply.