Apple and Amazon dominate online space for Brown Goods
Amazon UK was the most visible brown goods advertiser online whilst Apple remained the most visible website for brown goods-related searches, reveals the latest research from Greenlight.
Greenlight's ' Brown Goods Sector Report - Issue 12' assessed which brands, retailers and review sites were the most visible in both Natural Search and Paid Media results and therefore had the greatest share of consideration when UK consumers searched on Google UK for Audio & Accessories, Cameras & Camcorders, PCs & Laptops, Phones & Accessories and TVs & DVD Players. The report also highlights those brands that interacted well on Social Media Networks.
According to the report, Amazon UK achieved a 30% share of visibility in Paid Media. It also displayed the most visible unique ad creative, in the Audio & Accessories subsector, advertising low prices on the iPod Nano.
Through ranking at position 1 for the search term 'iPhone', in the organic listings, Apple attained a dominant 37% share of voice for brown goods-related searches overall.
Expected to launch in September with a release date sometime in October, the keyword 'iPhone 5' received the highest number of queries - 450,000, and accounted for 6% of the total number of searches for brown goods products in May and 21% of those made for the Phones & Accessories subsector. The keyword 'iPhone 5' was closely followed by 'iPad 3' and 'Blackberry'.
Other key findings from Greenlight's report reveal:
- In May, more than 7 million searches were made for brown goods-related keywords
- Searches for PCs & Laptops remained the most popular, accounting for 50% (over 3.5 million) of all brown goods-related searches. Phones & Accessories followed over 2.1 million searches (30% share)
- The term 'iPad 3' received 301,000 queries and made up the majority (9%) of searches pertaining to the PCs, laptops & tablets sub-sector
- For Phones & Accessories, O2 was the most visible brown goods-related website, ranking in first place for four search terms including 'i phone 4'. Orange was the most visible advertiser
- Comet was the most visible site for TVs & DVD players achieving a 57% share of voice in natural search through ranking at position one for 25 keywords including 'cheap LED TVs'. Argos followed with 43%